How Israel-Palestine exchange ratios have shifted over time: From 1,027:1 in 2006 to 100:1 in 2025

How Israel-Palestine exchange ratios have shifted over time: From 1,027:1 in 2006 to 100:1 in 2025


The prisoner-to-hostage return was a key part of the Israel-Hamas war ceasefire now being marked by a visit to Israel and Egypt by US President Donald Trump.

Jerusalem:

Hamas has released all Israeli hostages into the custody of the Red Cross as part of a breakthrough ceasefire after two years of war between Israel and Hamas in the Gaza Strip. The hostages were released in two batches. Meanwhile,ย Israel is freeing more than 1,900 Palestinian prisoners and detainees after Hamas freed all remaining living hostages held in Gaza under the two sides’ ceasefire deal.

The key exchange of hostages and prisoners follows a breakthrough ceasefire brokered by US President Donald Trump after two years of war. The release took place as the US President arrived in Israel. According to the White House, Trump watched the first moments of the hostage handover from aboard Air Force One en route to Tel Aviv. The White House called the development “history in the making.”

In the latest exchange, the prisoner-to-hostage ratio stands at roughly 100:1, with 1,900 Palestinian prisoners released for 20 Israeli hostages.

Here’s a comparison of major Israel-Palestine exchanges since 2006:

  • Gilad Shalit deal (2006): 1,027:1
  • 2023 Ceasefire exchange: 3:1
  • January 2025 exchange: ~30:1
  • Current deal (2025): ~100:1

Who are the 20 hostages?

As per the list published by Hamas, the following were the 20 hostages who were released by the Palestinian group on Monday:

  1. Bar Kupershtein
  2. Evyatar David
  3. Yosef-Chaim Ohana
  4. Segev Kalfon
  5. Avinatan Or
  6. Elkana Bohbot
  7. Maxim Herkin
  8. Nimrod Cohen
  9. Matan Zangauker
  10. David Cunio
  11. Eitan Horn
  12. Matan Angrest
  13. Eitan Mor
  14. Gali Berman
  15. Ziv Berman
  16. Omri Miran
  17. Alon Ohel
  18. Guy Gilboa-Dalal
  19. Rom Braslabski
  20. Ariel Konio

US-brokered peace deal

Earlier in the day, the US President had declared that the “war is over”, expressing hopes that the ceasefire between Israel and Hamas would last. โ€œI think itโ€™s going to hold. There are many reasons why it will. People are tired of it, itโ€™s been going on for centuries,โ€ Trump had said, while adding that it was “a special moment” for him.

“Everyone is celebrating together, which has never happened before. Usually, when one side celebrates, the other does not,โ€ the 79-year-old had said, calling the development โ€œhistoricโ€. โ€œEveryone is amazed. We’re going to have an incredible time, and itโ€™s going to be something the world has never seen before,”ย he added.

Also Read:ย Trump gets standing ovation in Israeli Parliament as freed hostages return home

Also Read:ย Gaza ceasefire: All 20 hostages freed by Hamas; Trump reaches Jerusalem | 10 points



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *