US President Donald Trump confirmed that the United States has begun โmajor combat operations in Iranโ following the strikes carried out on Saturday. The attacks came after multiple explosions were reported across Tehran, including near the offices of Supreme Leader Ayatollah Ali Khamenei, and Israel described its action as a โpreemptive strike.โ
Trumpโs direct appeal to Iranian citizens
In a rare address directly targeting the Iranian population, Trump said: โFinally, to the great, proud people of Iran, I say tonight that the hour of your freedom is at handโฆ When we are finished, take over your government. It will be yours to take. This will be, probably, your only chance for generations.โ
He also addressed the Iranian armed forces and police, urging them to lay down their weapons and promising complete immunity if they comply, warning of โcertain deathโ for those who resist.
Trump emphasised that the United States was providing overwhelming support to the Iranian people in this historic moment, stating that no previous American president had been willing to act in this way.
Rising tensions between Israel and Iran
Following the strikes, Israel issued a nationwide warning after reports that Iran had launched missiles in retaliation. Tehran has vowed a โcrushing responseโ to Israelโs surprise attack, raising fears of further escalation in the region.
The Israeli military warned citizens to stay alert as air raid sirens were activated across major cities, including Jerusalem and Tel Aviv, and advised the public to prepare for potential missile threats.
International advisory for citizens in Iran
In light of the ongoing conflict, the Indian Embassy in Iran issued an advisory urging Indian nationals to exercise utmost caution and remain indoors. โAll Indian nationals in Iran are advised to exercise utmost caution, avoid unnecessary movements and remain indoors as far as possible,โ the embassy said in a post on X (formerly Twitter).