Mecca-Madinah accident: 45 Indian Umrah pilgrims killed, 24/7 control room activated | Key points

Mecca-Madinah accident: 45 Indian Umrah pilgrims killed, 24/7 control room activated | Key points


Mecca-Madinah bus accident: Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday expressed grief over the bus accident in Saudi Arabia involving Indian Umrah pilgrims. In an X post, PM Modi said that the Indian Embassy in Riyadh and Consulate in Jeddah are providing all possible assistance.

Riyadh:

In a tragic bus incident, at least 45 people, most of them from Hyderabad, were killed in Saudi Arabia. Hyderabad police commissioner VC Sajjanar said a total of 54 people travelled to Jeddah from Hyderabad on November 9. They were scheduled to return on November 23. Of the 54, four people travelled separately by car to Madina on Sunday, while another four stayed back in Mecca. According to the official, 46 people were travelling in the ill-fated bus, which collided with an oil tanker about 25 km from Madina.

Mecca-Madinah accident: Only one pilgrim survives

Only one person survived the accident and is currently undergoing treatment at a hospital. “We are getting information that 45 people died. They were supposed to return to Hyderabad on 23rd (of November),” he added.

PM Modi expresses grief, assures all help

Prime Minister Narendra Modi on Monday expressed grief over the bus accident in Saudi Arabia involving Indianย Umrahย pilgrims. In an X post, PM Modi said that the Indian Embassy in Riyadh and Consulate in Jeddah are providing all possible assistance, while Indian officials are also in close contact with the Saudi Arabian authorities.

“Deeply saddened by the accident inย Medinahย involving Indian nationals. My thoughts are with the families who have lost their loved ones. I pray for the swift recovery of all those injured. Our Embassy in Riyadh and Consulate in Jeddah are providing all possible assistance. Our officials are also in close contact with Saudi Arabian authorities,” the Prime Minister posted.

Earlier in the day, External Affairs Minister S. Jaishankar said that he was “deeply shocked” by the bus accident near Madinah, Saudi Arabia, that involved several Indian pilgrims onย Umrah. In a post on X, he said the Indian Embassy in Riyadh and the Consulate in Jeddah were extending “fullest support” to all affected families.

“Deeply shocked at the accident involving Indian nationals inย Medinah, Saudi Arabia. Our Embassy in Riyadh and Consulate in Jeddah are giving the fullest support to Indian nationals and families affected by this accident. Sincere condolences to the bereaved families. Pray for the speedy recovery of those injured,” he wrote.

24/7 control room has been activated

Following the accident, the Consulate General of India in Jeddah announced that a 24/7 control room has been activated to assist relatives and coordinate emergency response.

“In view of a tragic bus accident near Madina, Saudi Arabia, involving Indianย Umrahย pilgrims, a 24×7 Control Room has been set up in the Consulate General of India, Jeddah,” the Consulate posted. Officials said they are in constant touch with Saudi authorities for updates on casualties, injured passengers, and hospitalisation details.

Revanth Reddy expresses shock

Chief Minister A. Revanth Reddy, too, has expressed shock over the incident after reports indicated that several victims were from Hyderabad.According to an official statement, the Chief Minister has contacted officials in New Delhi and instructed them to coordinate closely with the Indian Embassy in Riyadh for updated information.

Also Read:ย 

45 Indian Umrah pilgrims killed in bus accident in Saudi Arabia: What is Umrah and how is it performed?



Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *