World

Stay informed with World News Today Live โ€” delivering real-time global headlines, breaking news, and major updates from politics, business, technology, health, and entertainment. Catch the worldโ€™s top stories as they unfold.

Caught on cam: Truck loaded with liquid gas overturns on highway, massive explosion follows; 4 killed

Caught on cam: Truck loaded with liquid gas overturns on highway, massive explosion follows; 4 killed

Santiago: At least 4 people were killed when a truck transporting liquid gas overturned and exploded in Santiago, the capital of Chile, authorities said on Thursday. Another 17 people were injured in the incident, a police chief told reporters during a press conference, stating that the driver of the truck had lost control of the vehicle before it crashed and subsequently exploded. Authorities confirmed that the truck driver was among those who lost their lives in the blast. The prosecutorโ€™s office has begun an investigation to determine the sequence of events and the circumstances that led to the accident, Reuters…
Read More
Will Indian exports face only 10% US tariffs now? White House signals major reset

Will Indian exports face only 10% US tariffs now? White House signals major reset

New Delhi: In a major shift in global trade policy, the United States has announced a reset of its tariffs, which lowers duties on Indian exports from 18% to 10%. This move comes just weeks after the landmark India-US trade agreement that had already reduced tariffs significantly. A White House official said the new 10% global tariff applies to all major trading partners, with previous rates of 15% for Switzerland, South Korea, the EU, and Japan, and 20% for Vietnam. The United Kingdom remains at 10%. Trump reaffirms strong trade ties with India US President Donald Trump emphasised that the…
Read More
‘Nothing changes’: Trump says India-US trade deal secure after Supreme Court quashes tariffs

‘Nothing changes’: Trump says India-US trade deal secure after Supreme Court quashes tariffs

Washington: US President Donald Trump said on Friday that there will be no change to the India US trade deal, despite the Supreme Court of the United States striking down his earlier reciprocal tariffs. "Nothing changes, theyโ€™ll be paying tariffs, and we will not be paying tariffs,"ย Trump said when asked about the impact of the ruling on the agreement being finalised with India. The Supreme Court, in a 6 to 3 decision authored by Chief Justice John Roberts, invalidated Trumpโ€™s worldwide tariffs imposed under the International Emergency Economic Powers Act. The court ruled that the 1977 statute does not grant…
Read More
Trump signs order for 10% global tariff, says it takes effect ‘almost immediately’

Trump signs order for 10% global tariff, says it takes effect ‘almost immediately’

New Delhi: US President Donald Trump on Friday announced a temporary 10% tariff on imports from all countries, moving swiftly to restore trade duties that were recently struck down by the Supreme Court. In a post on Truth Social, Trump said, โ€œIt is my Great Honor to have just signed, from the Oval Office, a Global 10% Tariff on all Countries, which will be effective almost immediately.โ€ The new tariff will remain in place for 150 days. Trumpโ€™s announcement comes after the Supreme Court invalidated tariffs that had been imposed under the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA). Those…
Read More
US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs 6-3, President slams ‘disappointing’ betrayal

US Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s global tariffs 6-3, President slams ‘disappointing’ betrayal

Washington: The US Supreme Court ruled 6-3 against President Donald Trump's expansive global tariffs on Friday (February 20), dismantling a cornerstone of his economic strategy and marking a rare judicial check on his aggressive trade policies. Landmark 6-3 ruling targets emergency powers abuse In a pivotal decision, the Court invalidated tariffs imposed via a 1977 emergency powers statute, including the broad 'reciprocal' duties Trump enacted in April 2025 on nearly all trading partners to combat declared trade deficit emergencies. Dissenters Justices Samuel Alito, Clarence Thomas and Brett Kavanaugh argued for upholding executive flexibility, but the majority found Trump's invocation stretched…
Read More
What did Pakistan bring to the table at Trump’s Board of Peace meeting apart from embarrassment?

What did Pakistan bring to the table at Trump’s Board of Peace meeting apart from embarrassment?

New Delhi: During Gaza Board of Peace meeting on Thursday, Pakistan Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif hailed President Donald Trump as a โ€œman of peaceโ€ as he attended an inaugural meeting in Washington. The Board of Peace, formed under a UN Security Council resolution following a fragile October 2025 ceasefire between Israel and Hamas, is aimed at overseeing the international stabilisation and rebuilding efforts in Gaza after Israeli war. Pakistan PM calls Trump 'saviour of South Asia' Pakistan PM even called Trump 'saviour of South Asia'. Earlier, he had nominated him for the Nobel Peace Prize. But, all these efforts by…
Read More
Donald Trump mulls limited strike on Iran amid nuclear talks deadline

Donald Trump mulls limited strike on Iran amid nuclear talks deadline

Washington: President Donald Trump revealed on Friday (February 20) that he's weighing a targeted military strike on Iran, intensifying pressure on Tehran to finalise a nuclear deal as US naval forces mass in the Middle East. Trump hints at action after extending ultimatum Responding to a reporter's question, Trump confirmed, "The most I can say- I am considering it," regarding a limited strike following his naval buildup to force Iran into curbing its nuclear program. This came days after Thursday's warning of "bad things" if no deal materialized within an initial 10-day window, later stretched to 15, delivered at the…
Read More
Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s sweeping tariffs: What options does US President have now?

Supreme Court strikes down Trump’s sweeping tariffs: What options does US President have now?

Washington: In a major setback to US President Donald Trumpโ€™s signature trade policy, the US Supreme Court on Friday struck down most of his sweeping tariff measures. The US apex court stated that the President did not possess the authority under the 1977 International Emergency Economic Powers Act (IEEPA) to impose extensive import duties on goods from nearly all US trading partners. The ruling is expected to have wide-ranging consequences for global trade, businesses, consumers, inflation trends and household finances across the country. The verdict marks a notable shift from a series of recent wins for Trump at the Supreme…
Read More
US Supreme Court quashes Trump’s tariff orders: Does it mean zero tariff on India? Explained

US Supreme Court quashes Trump’s tariff orders: Does it mean zero tariff on India? Explained

Washington: The US Supreme Court on Friday struck down President Donald Trump's far-reaching global tariffs, handing him a significant loss on an issue crucial to his economic agenda. The 6-3 decision of the US Supreme Court centres on tariffs imposed under an emergency powers law, including the sweeping "reciprocal" tariffs he imposed on nearly every other country. It's the first major piece of Trump's broad agenda to come squarely before the nation's highest court, which he helped shape with the appointments of three conservative jurists in his first term. In a 6-3 decision by Chief Justice John Roberts, the court…
Read More
Tarique Rahman’s swift move: Bangladesh restores visa services for Indians, signals thaw with Delhi

Tarique Rahman’s swift move: Bangladesh restores visa services for Indians, signals thaw with Delhi

Dhaka: Bangladesh's new Prime Minister Tarique Rahman, who assumed office on February 17 (Tuesday), after his Bangladesh Nationalist Party's (BNP) decisive election victory, has moved quickly to mend ties with India by reinstating full visa services for Indian citizens at the Bangladesh High Commission in New Delhi. This decision, effective from Friday (February 20), lifts a suspension imposed since December 2025 amid heightened anti-India sentiment, marking a promising first step toward normalising bilateral relations strained under the previous Muhammad Yunus interim administration. Consular services resume: All visa categories now open From early Friday, the High Commission recommenced all consular operations,…
Read More