World

Stay informed with World News Today Live โ€” delivering real-time global headlines, breaking news, and major updates from politics, business, technology, health, and entertainment. Catch the worldโ€™s top stories as they unfold.

Iran reinforces control over Strait of Hormuz, calls Donald Trump’s blockade ‘clumsy and ignorant decision’

Iran reinforces control over Strait of Hormuz, calls Donald Trump’s blockade ‘clumsy and ignorant decision’

Tehran: Sharing details of behind-the-scene negotiations with the United States (US), Iranian Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf has said that Tehran that confronted the US delegation over naval activity in the Strait of Hormuz and reiterated that the waterway falls under the "control of the Islamic Republic". He also criticised America's efforts of clearing the mines in the Hormuz, calling it a "violation of ceasefire". In a television interview which was aired on Saturday night, Galibaf said the US and Iran were near a renewed confrontation over Hormuz, but "the enemy retreated". Galibaf, who led the Iranian delegation in Pakistan's…
Read More
Ukraine: Gunman kills at least six in Kyiv after taking hostages, shot dead by police

Ukraine: Gunman kills at least six in Kyiv after taking hostages, shot dead by police

New Delhi: A gunman who killed at least six people on the streets of Kyiv on Saturday was later shot dead by police after taking hostages inside a supermarket, news agency AP reported. The incident unfolded over several hours and ended after security forces stormed the building. Ukrainian authorities said the attacker first opened fire in public before entering a store and barricading himself. The situation quickly escalated, with police attempting to negotiate before taking action. Six killed after gunman opens fire, takes hostages in supermarket Ukraineโ€™s Interior Minister Ihor Klymenko said special tactical units entered the supermarket after attempts…
Read More
Iranian gunboats fire on tanker in Strait of Hormuz as Iran reimposes restrictions

Iranian gunboats fire on tanker in Strait of Hormuz as Iran reimposes restrictions

Tehran: The British military said Saturday confirmed that two gunboats from Iran's Revolutionary Guard opened fire on a tanker transiting the Strait of Hormuz, after Iran said it has reimposed restrictions on the vital waterway. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations Centre said the tanker and crew were reported safe, without identifying the vessel or its destination. Earlier in the day, Iran announced that it was reimposing restrictions on the strait in response to a US blockade on Iranian shipping and ports. Iran has prevented vessels from crossing throughout the seven-week-long war, except for ones it authorises. Iran's joint military…
Read More
Iran imposes restrictions in Strait of Hormuz again, accuses US of violating ceasefire

Iran imposes restrictions in Strait of Hormuz again, accuses US of violating ceasefire

New Delhi: Iran has once again imposed restrictions on the Strait of Hormuz, stepping back from its earlier move to reopen the crucial shipping route. The decision comes just a day after US President Donald Trump said the American naval blockade would continue โ€œin full force.โ€ Blames US for breaking understanding Iranโ€™s military command said the United States had gone back on its word by continuing to block ships linked to Iranian ports. In a strong statement, it said movement through the strait would remain under tight control until the US allows full freedom for vessels heading to and from…
Read More
Iran tightens grip on Strait of Hormuz, says ‘passage subject to its approval’

Iran tightens grip on Strait of Hormuz, says ‘passage subject to its approval’

New Delhi: Iran has made it clear that movement through the Strait of Hormuz will no longer be taken for granted. In a strong message amid rising tensions with the United States, Tehran announced that all vessels passing through the crucial waterway must follow โ€œdesignated routesโ€ and obtain Iranian authorisation. Iranโ€™s Parliament Speaker, Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, came down heavily on the recent remarks by US President Donald Trump, accusing Washington of spreading misinformation. In a series of posts on X, Ghalibaf dismissed US claims as false and warned that continued pressure on Iran could have serious consequences. He stated that…
Read More
Iran rejects Trump’s claim on handing over enriched uranium: ‘Won’t be transferred anywhere’

Iran rejects Trump’s claim on handing over enriched uranium: ‘Won’t be transferred anywhere’

Tehran: Iran has once again refused to handover its stockpile of enriched uranium to the US, rejecting President Donald Trump's assertion that the Islamic Republic has agreed to transfer it. The Middle East nation maintained that the uranium stockpile will remain under its control and won't be "transferred anywhere". "Iran's enriched uranium is not going to be transferred anywhere," Iran's Foreign Ministry spokesperson Esmaeil Baqaei told state TV. "Transfer of Iran's enriched uranium to the US has never been raised in negotiations." Baqaei said the last week's talks with the US in Islamabad, Pakistan, focused on mainly ending the conflict…
Read More
Earthquake of magnitude 5 hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in Kashmir

Earthquake of magnitude 5 hits Afghanistan, tremors felt in Kashmir

New Delhi: An earthquake of magnitude 5.0 on the Richter scale struck parts of Afghanistan on Saturday morning, with tremors also felt across the Kashmir Valley. The earthquake occurred at around 8:24 am, according to seismic data. The quake was centred near Zaybak in Afghanistanโ€™s Badakhshan region, at coordinates 36.5536ยฐN and 70.9259ยฐE. It originated at a depth of about 190 kilometres beneath the surface, which likely reduced the intensity felt on the ground. Experts estimate the earthquake released energy equivalent to around 477 tons of TNT, highlighting the strength of the seismic activity despite its depth. At the time of…
Read More
Trump warns if Iran ceasefire deal not sealed by Wednesday, says ‘will start dropping bombs again’

Trump warns if Iran ceasefire deal not sealed by Wednesday, says ‘will start dropping bombs again’

New Delhi: US President Donald Trump has indicated possible progress in the ongoing conflict with Iran, but cautioned that the current ceasefire could end soon if upcoming talks fail. Speaking to reporters aboard Air Force One, Trump said there had been โ€œsome good news,โ€ though he stopped short of giving details. โ€œWe had some pretty good news 20 minutes ago, but it seems to be going very well in the Middle East with Iran,โ€ he said. โ€œYouโ€™ll hear about itโ€ฆ I just think itโ€™s something that should happen.โ€ Ceasefire extension in doubt Trump made it clear that the continuation of…
Read More
Donald Trump says China’s Xi ‘very happy’ with Hormuz reopening: ‘I look forward to being with him’

Donald Trump says China’s Xi ‘very happy’ with Hormuz reopening: ‘I look forward to being with him’

Washington: US President Donald Trump said on Saturday that China's Xi Jinping is "very happy" after Iran decided to open the Strait of Hormuz, adding that he is looking forward to his meeting with his Chinese counterpart. Trump, a two-time US president, also said "much will be accomplished" when the two world leaders meet next month in Beijing. "President Xi is very happy that the Strait of Hormuz is open and/or rapidly opening," the 79-year-old American leader posted on his Truth Social account. "Our meeting in China will be a special one and, potentially, Historic. I look forward to being…
Read More
US makes a U-turn, renews sanction waiver to allow nations buy Russian oil; relief for India

US makes a U-turn, renews sanction waiver to allow nations buy Russian oil; relief for India

Washington: As global energy markets remain tensed due to a crunch caused by the ongoing tensions in the Middle East, the United States (US) has decided to make a U-turn and renewed a sanction waiver, allowing countries to procure Russian oil and petroleum products at sea, as per a report by the Associated Press (AP). The development comes two days after the Trump administration said it has no plans to do so. The Treasury Department of the US has posted the license on its website on late Friday night, which allowed countries to buy Russian oil loaded onto vessels till…
Read More