World

Stay informed with World News Today Live โ€” delivering real-time global headlines, breaking news, and major updates from politics, business, technology, health, and entertainment. Catch the worldโ€™s top stories as they unfold.

Internet to be hit next after oil and gas? Iran threatens to hit undersea cables, cloud networks in Gulf next

Internet to be hit next after oil and gas? Iran threatens to hit undersea cables, cloud networks in Gulf next

Tehran: Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps has indicated that critical digital infrastructure in the Persian Gulf, including undersea internet cables and cloud networks, could become targets amid rising tensions and a fragile ceasefire. Reports from IRGC-linked media underscore both the strategic importance and vulnerability of the regionโ€™s digital backbone, suggesting that systems supporting global connectivity may be drawn into the conflict. Importance of Hormuz for internet and communication The Strait of Hormuz serves not only as a vital global oil route but also as a key corridor for submarine communication cables carrying internet and data traffic across continents. IRGC-linked reports…
Read More
Trump says ‘no time pressure’ on ending Iran war as clouds of uncertainty over peace talks persist

Trump says ‘no time pressure’ on ending Iran war as clouds of uncertainty over peace talks persist

Washington: As clouds of uncertainty continued in the Middle East, US President Donald Trump has said that there is "no time" pressure over ending the war with Iran. The development comes even as the Islamic Republic continues to insist that a complete ceasefire will eventually depend on the lifting Trump's naval blockade of Iran. "There was โ€˜no time frameโ€™ and no rush," Trump said in an interview with Martha MacCallum of Fox News. "People say I want to get it over because of the midterms, not true." Trump's clarification comes after several reports claimed that the ceasefire is just a…
Read More
US Navy Secretary John Phelan resigns as Iran’s naval blockade continues

US Navy Secretary John Phelan resigns as Iran’s naval blockade continues

Washington: Amid clouds of uncertainty over the ongoing tensions with Iran, the Pentagon on Wednesday (local time) announced that US Secretary of Navy John Phelan will leave the office "immediately". However, it didn't provide an explanation behind Phelan's sudden exit. "Secretary of the Navy John C. Phelan is departing the administration, effective immediately," Pentagon spokesman Sean Parnell said in a statement on X (formerly Twitter). "On behalf of the Secretary of War and Deputy Secretary of War, we are grateful to Secretary Phelan for his service to the Department and the United States Navy." "We wish him well in his…
Read More
Trump claims Iran halts execution of eight women protesters at his request: ‘I very much appreciate it’

Trump claims Iran halts execution of eight women protesters at his request: ‘I very much appreciate it’

Washington: A major development has emerged amid the ongoing tensions in the Middle East as US President Donald Trump claimed that Iran has suspended the execution of eight women protesters who were facing the death penalty. Posting on Truth Social, Trump described it as "very good news" and said the punishment of the protesters had been put on hold following his intervention. According to Trump, four of the eight women will be released immediately, while the remaining four will serve a one-month prison term instead of facing execution. He said Iran's leadership accepted his request and cancelled the proposed punishment.…
Read More
Iran says reopening of Strait of Hormuz ‘impossible’ amid US blockade, calls it ‘ceasefire violation’

Iran says reopening of Strait of Hormuz ‘impossible’ amid US blockade, calls it ‘ceasefire violation’

Tehran: Iran on Wednesday (April 22) said that the Islamic Republic would not reopen the strategically vital Strait of Hormuz as long as the US naval blockade remains in place, describing it as a "blatant violation of the ceasefire." Reopening of Strait of Hormuz 'impossible'ย  Iran's Parliament Speaker Mohammad Bagher Ghalibaf, in a post on X, said the ceasefire can only hold if it is respected in full, warning that ongoing actions at sea undermine its credibility.ย "A complete ceasefire only makes sense if it is not violated by the maritime blockade and the hostage-taking of the worldโ€™s economy, and if…
Read More
India rejects claims of cash, crypto payments to Iran for passage of ships through Strait of Hormuz

India rejects claims of cash, crypto payments to Iran for passage of ships through Strait of Hormuz

New Delhi: The Union government on Wednesday firmly dismissed reports suggesting that Indian vessels made payments, either in cash or cryptocurrency, to Iran to secure safe passage through the Strait of Hormuz. Officials termed such claims as baseless amid heightened tensions in the strategically vital region. The clarification follows an incident on April 18, when two India-flagged vessels were forced to retreat after Iranian forces opened fire as they attempted to pass through the Strait of Hormuz. The development triggered concern within maritime circles and raised questions about safety in one of the world's busiest energy routes. An audio clip…
Read More
Trump on Iran peace talks: ‘Good news about a second round of talks may come as soon as Friday’

Trump on Iran peace talks: ‘Good news about a second round of talks may come as soon as Friday’

Washington: Hours after extending ceasefire with Iran, US President Donald Trump on Wednesday said there is a good news about a second round of talks which may come as soon as Friday. He said there is renewed possibility of peace talks within the next 36 to 72 hours and it's possible, according to a report by NY Post. Trump indefinitely extends ceasefire with Iranย  Earlier in the day, Trump indefinitely extended the ceasefire with Iran at the request of mediator Pakistan, saying the move was aimed at giving Tehran's fractured leadership time to come up with a unified proposal to…
Read More
Nepal Home Minister Sudhan Gurung resigns amid financial scrutiny: ‘Ethics hold more weight…’

Nepal Home Minister Sudhan Gurung resigns amid financial scrutiny: ‘Ethics hold more weight…’

Kathmandu: Nepal's Home Minister, Sudan Gurung, resigned on Wednesday (April 22), citing moral responsibility and the need for a fair investigation into concerns raised over his financial holdings. His resignation comes just 26 days after assuming office. He announced his resignation in a social media post. 'For me, ethics hold more weight than any position':ย Sudan Gurung In a Facebook post announcing his resignation, Gurung said he had taken public criticism seriously and chose to step down to uphold ethical standards in public life. "I, Sudan Gurung, have been performing my duties as the Home Minister with utmost honesty since Chaitra…
Read More
Iran state TV says three ships attacked by Revolutionary Guard in Hormuz, taken into force’s custody

Iran state TV says three ships attacked by Revolutionary Guard in Hormuz, taken into force’s custody

Tehran: In a significant development amid ceasefire from Donald Trump, two ships were attacked Wednesday by Iran's paramilitary Revolutionary Guard and are now are in the force's custody and being taken to Iran, Iranian state television reported. It identified the vessels as the MSC Francesca and the Epaminodes. The ship's owners could not be immediately reached for comment. The seizures represent an escalation after the US earlier seized two Iranian vessels as ceasefire talks were due to take place in Islamabad. Iran's Revolutionary Guard attacks third ship in Strait of Hormuz Iran's Revolutionary Guard also attacked a third ship in…
Read More
Pentagon assessment says Iran retains key military strength in strong contradiction to Trump’s claims

Pentagon assessment says Iran retains key military strength in strong contradiction to Trump’s claims

Washington: A fresh assessment by the Pentagon intelligence wing suggests that Iran retains its key military capabilities, challenging recent claims by senior American officials about the extent of damage to Tehranโ€™s forces. According to a report by NBC News, the findings from the defence intelligence community stand in sharp contrast to statements made by Donald Trump and US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth. Both had earlier suggested that Iranโ€™s military had suffered severe and possibly irreversible losses in recent engagements. However, the intelligence report indicates that despite these operations, Iranโ€™s armed forces remain a significant regional power. This contradicts claims…
Read More