World

Stay informed with World News Today Live โ€” delivering real-time global headlines, breaking news, and major updates from politics, business, technology, health, and entertainment. Catch the worldโ€™s top stories as they unfold.

Pentagon assessment says Iran retains key military strength in strong contradiction to Trump’s claims

Pentagon assessment says Iran retains key military strength in strong contradiction to Trump’s claims

Washington: A fresh assessment by the Pentagon intelligence wing suggests that Iran retains its key military capabilities, challenging recent claims by senior American officials about the extent of damage to Tehranโ€™s forces. According to a report by NBC News, the findings from the defence intelligence community stand in sharp contrast to statements made by Donald Trump and US Secretary of War Pete Hegseth. Both had earlier suggested that Iranโ€™s military had suffered severe and possibly irreversible losses in recent engagements. However, the intelligence report indicates that despite these operations, Iranโ€™s armed forces remain a significant regional power. This contradicts claims…
Read More
US missile power hit hard during Iran war; report says 50% of Patriot, THAAD stocks depleted

US missile power hit hard during Iran war; report says 50% of Patriot, THAAD stocks depleted

Washington: The United States military is facing growing concern over its ammunition levels after extensive use of advanced missiles in the recent conflict with Iran. Defence analysts and individuals familiar with internal Pentagon reviews warn that current stockpiles have been significantly reduced, potentially leaving the country exposed if another conflict arises in the near future. Significant depletion of key missile systems According to a report by CNN, citing experts and people linked with the US' internal defence department, recent assessments suggest that key missile reserves have been heavily drawn down. The US has reportedly used a substantial portion of its…
Read More
Iran fires at container ship in Strait of Hormuz hours after Trump extends ceasefire

Iran fires at container ship in Strait of Hormuz hours after Trump extends ceasefire

New Delhi: Iranโ€™s paramilitary Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps opened fire on a container ship on Wednesday in the Strait of Hormuz, damaging the vessel and escalating tensions after planned ceasefire talks in Pakistan failed to take place. The United Kingdom Maritime Trade Operations said the attack occurred at around 7:55 am and involved a Guard gunboat targeting the ship without issuing any prior warning. According to the UKMTO, no injuries were reported and no environmental damage occurred. Iran has not immediately acknowledged the incident. The development follows recent actions by the United States, which seized an Iranian container ship after…
Read More
JD Vance’s Pakistan visit on hold ‘indefinitely’ as US extends Iran ceasefire amid stalled diplomacy

JD Vance’s Pakistan visit on hold ‘indefinitely’ as US extends Iran ceasefire amid stalled diplomacy

Washington: US Vice President JD Vance has postponed his planned diplomatic visit to Islamabad, which was expected to focus on negotiations with Iran amid unrest in the Middle East. According to a report by The Wall Street Journal, the trip has now been put on hold indefinitely after US President Donald Trump โ€˜unilaterallyโ€™ extended the ceasefire with Iran.ย  A White House official, cited by the aforementioned media outlet, confirmed that the visit has been โ€œcalled off with no new dates set.โ€ The official also said that โ€œany future travel for diplomatic engagements will be announced later.โ€ The decision reflects a…
Read More
Iran issues stark warning to US and Israel as uncertainty shrouds second round of talks

Iran issues stark warning to US and Israel as uncertainty shrouds second round of talks

Tehran: Iran has issued a strong warning, saying it will respond with full military force if the United States or Israel launches any attack against it. The message was delivered through a statement carried by Iranโ€™s state media early on Wednesday. The statement came from Ebrahim Zolfaghari, spokesperson for the Khatam al-Anbiya Central Headquarters. It was read on national television, where he said Iranโ€™s armed forces are prepared to act decisively. He added that both the US and Israel would face severe consequences, describing them in harsh terms and warning that any aggression would be met with an even stronger…
Read More
Trump extends ceasefire as second round of talks with Iran hang in limbo

Trump extends ceasefire as second round of talks with Iran hang in limbo

Washington: In a significant development amid tensions with Iran, Trump announced an extension of the ongoing ceasefire, citing diplomatic considerations and requests from Pakistan. He stated that the halt on attacks against Iran will continue until the latter comes up with a deal and negotiations are concluded. However, he added that the blockade of Iranian ports will remain in place and instructed the US military to stay on high alert. โ€œBased on the fact that the Government of Iran is seriously fractured, not unexpectedly so and, upon the request of Field Marshal Asim Munir, and Prime Minister Shehbaz Sharif, of…
Read More
Trump warns of fresh strikes on Iran if peace talks fail as ceasefire nears end: ‘Military is raring to go’

Trump warns of fresh strikes on Iran if peace talks fail as ceasefire nears end: ‘Military is raring to go’

Washington: US President Donald Trump has sharply escalated his rhetoric and indicated that the United States could launch military strikes against Iran if ongoing diplomatic efforts fail before the ceasefire deadline. Speaking in an interview with CNBC's Squawk Box, Trump made it clear that negotiations are approaching a critical juncture with little time left for a breakthrough. Reiterating the readiness of US forces, Trump said, "The military is raring to go," stressing that troops in the region are fully prepared for action. "If we don't have a deal that protects our interests and the world, we are going to bomb.…
Read More
Trump rules out ceasefire extension, says the US will end up with a great deal with Iran

Trump rules out ceasefire extension, says the US will end up with a great deal with Iran

Washington: US President Donald Trump on Tuesday stated that he โ€Œdid not want to extend aย ceasefire with Iran and added that the US was in a โ€‹strong negotiating position and would end โ€‹up with a great โ deal. "I don't want to do that. โ€‹We don't have that much time," โ€‹Trump said when asked about the possibility of extending the ceasefire during an interview with CNBC. I do not want to extend the ceasefire: Trumpย  โ€œI do not want to extend the ceasefire. I think we are going to end up with a great deal. They have no choice,โ€ he said.…
Read More
US, Iran signal return to Pakistan for ceasefire talks as truce nears expiry, reports AP

US, Iran signal return to Pakistan for ceasefire talks as truce nears expiry, reports AP

Washington: The United States and Iran are expected to return to Pakistan for another round of ceasefire talks, according to a report by The Associated Press. Pakistan-led mediators received confirmation that the top negotiators, US Vice President JD Vance and Iranโ€™s parliament speaker Mohammad Bagher Qalibaf, will arrive in Islamabad early Wednesday, the officials told AP on Tuesday.ย  The officials spoke on condition of anonymity as they were not authorised to brief the media. A 14-day ceasefire between the two sides is set to expire on Wednesday (April 22), adding urgency to the proposed talks. No Iranian delegation in Pakistan…
Read More
Iranian ship returns home evading US naval blockade after delivering crude oil to Indonesia: Report

Iranian ship returns home evading US naval blockade after delivering crude oil to Indonesia: Report

Tehran: An Iranian supertanker has reportedly completed a crucial journey, returning safely to Iranian waters after delivering a large shipment of crude oil despite a US naval blockade in the region. Iranian media described the voyage as a major success in overcoming restrictions. The reported transit comes at a time of rising tensions between Tehran and Washington. According to reports by Fars News Agency, the vessel had left Iran in March and travelled towards Indonesia. Near the Riau Archipelago, it transferred approximately 2 million barrels of crude oil to another very large crude carrier (VLCC). After completing the transfer, the…
Read More